KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (CBS NEWS) – The Malaysian jetliner with 239 passengers and crew aboard “ended” its journey in the southern Indian Ocean, the Malaysian prime minister announced Monday.
Prime Minister Najib Razak cited new satellite data in making the announcement and said that families of the passengers had been informed.
“On behalf of all of us at Malaysia Airlines and all Malaysians, our prayers go out to all the loved ones of the 226 passengers and of our 13 friends and colleagues at this enormously painful time,” the airline said in a statement. “The ongoing multinational search operation will continue, as we seek answers to the questions which remain. Alongside the search for MH370, there is an intensive investigation, which we hope will also provide answers.”
More than two weeks ago, Flight 370 disappeared while en route from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Beijing, setting off a multinational search.
Earlier Monday, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the crew on board an Australian P3 Orion had located two objects in the search zone — the first grey or green and circular, the second orange and rectangular. The crew was able to photograph the objects, but it was unclear if they were part of an aircraft.
Among those lost in the crash was Philip Wood of Keller, an IBM executive who had been working in Beijing for two years. This flight was supposed to be his last trip to China.
- A New Season With New Thrills At Six Flags Over Texas
- US New-Home Sales Rise In Sign Of Housing Market Health
- Dallas ISD Changes Policy For Pre-K School Suspensions
- Mechanic Hands Stranger His Truck Keys So He Can Get To Funeral
- Blue Bell Introduces New ‘Ice Cream Cone’ Flavor
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures