DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas-based aviation consultant, Ken Jenkins, has advised Malaysia Airlines on how to console families. He worked for American Airlines for 26 years, the last ten in emergency response.
Jenkins, who’s working his thirteenth fatal accident, is waiting to hear if he will return to Malaysia.
“The airline is caught in a very difficult place because the information has to come from the government. There’s so limited information, there’s no debris to look at. There’s no aircraft to look at. There are no black boxes — the cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder have not been found.”
Before the Malaysian Prime Minister announced Monday that they believe the jet crashed into the Indian Ocean, Jenkins said the airline updated families in person and in some cases by phone. But the airline also sent text messages to relatives they couldn’t reach.
Keller resident Tom Wood’s brother Philip was aboard Flight 370.
When asked about the airline sending text messages, Wood said he wasn’t concerned. “We don’t care. They contacted; somebody contacted us. We’re not trying to find some place to direct our anger.”
While Wood didn’t seem to mind, Jenkins said he was surprised the airline sent families a text. “I don’t think a text message is any way to do deliver news.”
If Jenkins return overseas, he may travel to Perth, Australia.
That’s where he would help with efforts to return any of the passengers’ personal belongings that are found to the families.
But they must still find the airplane or the wreckage, and Jenkins says that could take far more time than families and all of those involved want.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Oak Cliff Library Checks Out More Than Books
- North Texas Woman Gets $55,000 Hotel Bill For ‘Unspecified Damages’
- Promising Wonder Pill Adds Years To Dog’s Life
- Rangers To Retire Uniform Number Of Ivan ‘Pudge’ Rodriguez
- President Trump Signs First Executive Order Regarding Obamacare
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures