ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — Texas Rangers reliever Neftali Feliz may have just won the closer role after all. Unfortunately, he’ll have to close in Round Rock.
The Star Telegram reports on Tuesday, less than a week before the season opener, that Feliz has been optioned to AAA-Round Rock
Heading into spring training, Feliz was considered the front-runner to earn the ninth inning role. His performance this spring made the decision an easy one.
29-year-old Joakim Soria, the owner of 160 career saves, will start the season as the club’s primary closer. In 2008, Soria was selected as an AL All-Star, collecting 42 saves with a 1.60 ERA (.86 WHIP).
Another closer candidate, Tanner Scheppers, will begin the season in the Rangers’ starting rotation.
Feliz, 25, made six appearances in 2013, throwing 4.2 scoreless innings after returning from Tommy John surgery on August 1, 2012.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers To Retire Uniform Number Of Ivan ‘Pudge’ Rodriguez
- Keidel: NFL Championships All About Offense
- 2017 NBA All-Star Game Starting Lineups
- 103 College Players To Give Up Eligibility To Enter NFL Draft
- Power 5 Conferences Vote To Stop Spring Practices Off Campus
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures