CBS 11 Header TXA 21 Header MeTV Header KRLD Header The Fan Header
BREAKING: Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price arrested | MORE
CBS DFW WEATHER APP: iPhone App Store | Android App Coming Soon | More Information

Local

Dallas City Council Narrowly Passes Plastic Bag Fee

US-RETAIL-WALMART-OPENING

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

From Our CBS Music Web Sites

625x352 thrill eng preview Dallas City Council Narrowly Passes Plastic Bag FeeWin A Trip To Disneyland!

82641739 10 Dallas City Council Narrowly Passes Plastic Bag FeeHottest Sunbathers Of The Summer

451506504 Dallas City Council Narrowly Passes Plastic Bag FeeJennifer Lopez Bikini Pic Is HOT

 alt=What Did Jerry Jones Say?

 alt=Musicians Then And Now

Fantasy_tile

VOTE: Best Coaches In American Sports

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Using plastic bags in Dallas will cost you starting next year.

After more than a year of debate regarding a citywide plastic bag ban, Dallas City Council passed a 5-cent per bag fee at its March 26 meeting.

The fee, which has also been called a “partial ban” on plastic bags, was proposed by council member Dwayne Caraway and will go into effect on January 1, 2015.

The measure narrowly passed with a final vote of 8-6.

Council members were originally set to vote on a proposed ordinance that would have included a 10-cent per bag fee or a $1 transaction fee.  That proposal was replaced with the 5-cent option after council members spent about 45 minutes in a closed door session.  The council then debated the issue for nearly two hours before voting.

The new ordinance will also require retailers to charge customers for bags separately from their purchased items.  Retailers will be required to register with the city and will be allowed to keep 10% of the income generated. The other 90% will go to the city.

In order to get residents up to speed on the new ordinance, the City of Dallas will immediately start an intensive educational awareness campaign.  That effort will cost taxpayers about $250,000, according to city administrators.

Do you agree with the partial bag ban/bag fee? Take our poll to let us know!

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Latest News:

Top Trending: