DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Using plastic bags in Dallas will cost you starting next year.
After more than a year of debate regarding a citywide plastic bag ban, Dallas City Council passed a 5-cent per bag fee at its March 26 meeting.
The fee, which has also been called a “partial ban” on plastic bags, was proposed by council member Dwayne Caraway and will go into effect on January 1, 2015.
The measure narrowly passed with a final vote of 8-6.
Council members were originally set to vote on a proposed ordinance that would have included a 10-cent per bag fee or a $1 transaction fee. That proposal was replaced with the 5-cent option after council members spent about 45 minutes in a closed door session. The council then debated the issue for nearly two hours before voting.
The new ordinance will also require retailers to charge customers for bags separately from their purchased items. Retailers will be required to register with the city and will be allowed to keep 10% of the income generated. The other 90% will go to the city.
In order to get residents up to speed on the new ordinance, the City of Dallas will immediately start an intensive educational awareness campaign. That effort will cost taxpayers about $250,000, according to city administrators.
Do you agree with the partial bag ban/bag fee? Take our poll to let us know!
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Woman Shot Multiple Times At Dallas Apartment Complex
- Ford Recalls Focus Hatchbacks For Latch Release Problem
- Fliers On Campus Seek ‘Sugar Daddies’ For Female Students
- Fan Drops Ring During Yankee Stadium Engagement
- Team Jack Wins NASCAR’s $100,000 Humanitarian Award
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures