AUSTIN, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Deandre Tatum, the teenager who had been in a coma at an Austin hospital since the March 13th South By Southwest incident, has now died.
The 18-year old is the fourth person to die from the ordeal earlier this month – where Rashad Owens is suspected of plowing thru the crowd – injuring dozens.
Tatum was a 2013 Trimble Tech High School graduate.
The incident spanned two blocks along Red River Street in Austin — from 9th Street to 11th Street. Along the path, the car ran over a man riding a bicycle and a woman on a moped, killing them both instantly.
♦♦♦ More SXSW Deadly Crash Coverage ♦♦♦
Tatum’s girlfriend Curtisha Davis was also hurt. She is recovering at her Fort Worth home.
Tatum and Davis were part of the crowd of concert goers standing outside, when Owens – plowed into them.
Tatum’s mother said her son was hit so that he was knocked out of his shoes.
The two people killed at the scene, 35-year-old Steven Craenmehr was riding a bicycle when he was hit and 27-year-old Jamie Ranae West, was a passenger on a moped.
Sandy Le, 26, died Monday March 17th at University Medical Center Brackenridge as a result of her injuries.
Rashad Charjuan Owens was charged with one count of Capital Murder, though additional charges can be added later.
Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo has said Owens intentionally steered toward pedestrians in hopes of escaping an officer who was trying to pull him over.
Acevedo has suggested Owens could face two capital murder charges and as many as 23 counts of aggravated assault with a vehicle.
The 21-year-old from Killeen, remains in police custody after a district court judge set his bail at $3 million.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- “Silent March” Planned For Downtown Dallas Friday
- After Turmoil Sanders, Mrs Obama, Warren Thrill Convention
- Hacker Targets Woman’s Amazon Account
- Rowlett Tornado Victim Displays His Anger With Insurance Company
- Texas Kidnapper Who Helped Find New Remains Sent To Oklahoma
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures