IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) – As thousands of kids begin their State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness or STAAR tests across North Texas this week, an Irving mother is taking a stand against the standardized tests… and she’s not alone
The STAAR tests are used to determine a student’s proficiency. Mother Lateresa Christian talked with CBS 11 News Monday and said her child is fine, but the test isn’t. She said her daughter loves school and excels academically.
Christian said the standardized test requirement has her 11-year-old daughter torn. “For the past month she comes home and tells me, ‘All I’ve been doing is learning this test. I’m frustrated.’”
Frustration has apparently spread among a number of Texas families. There is a page on Facebook dedicated as a sounding board for parents pulling their kids from classrooms before they take STAAR exams — the required assessments of academic readiness.
In Waco, the parents of several youngsters created a video anthem, building a chorus of complaints against the state’s student testing system.
Christian claims the STAAR test violates her moral beliefs, based on the stress it causes her child. She’ll use a section of the Education Code that offers religion or moral beliefs as an exemption, to keep her daughter out of Thomas Haley Elementary in Irving this week — STAAR exam week.
“I believe this hinders my child. It hinders her socioeconomic development, her creative learnedness,” Christian said. “Because the only thing teachers are concerned with is passing this test.”
Schools could hold students from grade promotion if they don’t take or pass state tests.
Christian has now joined other parents to challenge the high stakes exams.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) issued the following statement:
“A student is not entitled to remove the parents child from a class or other school activities to avoid a test or prevent the child from taking a subject for an entire semester.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Hammel Outpitches Hamels As Royals Beat Rangers 5-3
- Authorities: Flash Flood Surges Through Maryland Community
- Justin Rose Gets 3-Stroke Victory At Fort Worth Invitational
- 6-Year-Old Boy Drowns In Apartment Pool In Fort Worth
- Body Of Missing Woman At Lake Ray Hubbard Recovered
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures