ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CBSDFW/AP) – A 39-year-old Texas man is recovering in an Alaska hospital after he got lost while hiking on a mountain.
Alaska State Troopers say Scott Hueske was rescued Monday morning after he got lost on the Portage Trail, prompting an overnight search-and-rescue effort that also involved the Alaska National Guard.
KTUU says the Arlington, Texas, man had been wearing a sweater and pants but wasn’t carrying survival gear Sunday when he got stuck on Mount Maynard south of Anchorage.
Hueske told authorities he could not walk any farther because of an injured leg.
Megan Peters with the Alaska State Troopers spoke with 1080 KRLD’s Kelli Wiese about the search and rescue operation.
Troopers say Hueske was found at about 8:30 a.m. Monday and transported to Providence Alaska Medical Center with potentially life-threatening injuries that were cold-weather related.
Hospital spokeswoman Ginger Houghton says Hueske is listed in good condition Tuesday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The staff on 1080 KRLD contributed to this report.)
- TCU Falls To Coastal Carolina 4-1
- LGBT Community Getting Armed
- Fireworks Stand To Open In McKinney Neighborhood
- Briles Officially Out At Baylor After Sexual Assault Scandal
- Judge Blocks Planned Sale Of Whitney Houston’s Emmy
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures