KAUFMAN (CBSDFW.COM) – A woman was found dead at her home in Kaufman on Monday afternoon, and police believe that pit bulls are responsible for the killing. It was around 4:45 p.m. when authorities were called to a residence in the 1400 block of East First North Street.
When police arrived at the scene, they discovered 85-year-old Dorothy Hamilton dead in the living room of her home. Investigators also found a pair of aggressive pit bulls inside of the house. Animal control put down the two dogs that were inside the house when police found Hamilton.
A statement released by the Kaufman Police Department on Tuesday stated, “It appeared that the animals had attacked Hamilton.”
Authorities said that the dogs were being held in a bedroom, but it looks as though they broke down the door in order to attack the woman.
“We learned from her son the dogs living inside the door has been pushed open and the dogs got in with the elderly lady,” said Chief Dana Whitaker with Kaufman police.
The victim’s son was keeping a group of pit bulls at the home for several months. A neighbor said he found his deceased mother.
A total of eight pit bulls — including the two dogs thought to have attacked Hamilton — were taken from the property. There have been no charges filed in the case at this time.
An autopsy will determine Hamilton’s exact cause of death.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- New Approach To Panhandling Concerns In Deep Ellum Aimed At Givers
- 18-Year-Old Identified As Victim Of Fiery Tractor-Trailer Crash In Grand Prairie
- Dallas May Steep Up K2 Regulations
- Twitter Reacts To Super Bowl 50
- Denver Broncos Win Super Bowl 50
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures