Upset Irving Mom Pulls Child From STAAR Exam
Get Breaking News First
IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) - A growing number of parents are becoming frustrated by the state-mandated STAAR test, and now many of them are saying that they will not be taking their kids to school. Students all across Texas are going through the next round of testing this week. But at least one parent at Thomas Haley Elementary School in Irving said that her daughter is opting out.
Lateresa Christian said that her daughter loves school and excels academically. But Christian is frustrated over the pressure that the STAAR test puts on her child. So, the mother has decided to remove the girl from the testing process.
A student can be held back and not promoted to the next grade if they do not take or pass the state test.
However, Christian said that the STAAR exam violates her moral beliefs, based on the stress that it gives her daughter. She plans to use a section of the education code that offers religion or moral beliefs as an exemption, in order to keep her daughter out of school for a week. “I believe this hinders her socioeconomic development, her creative learningness,” Christian explained, “because the only thing teachers are concerned with is passing this test.”
“For the past month, she comes home and tells me, ‘All I’ve been doing is learning the test,'” Christian added. “I’m frustrated.”
Christian and others have expressed their opinions on Facebook, creating a page called Texas Parents Opt Out of State Tests. The Irving mother is not the only one who is angry and frustrated by the state exams.
The Texas Education Agency issued a statement about this issue which said, “A parent is not entitled to remove the parent’s child from a class or other school activities to avoid a test — or prevent the child from taking a subject for an entire semester.”
- Faber Happy To Support Teammate Dillishaw At UFC 177
- Texas Tech QB Webb Wants To Have Fun Against FCS Opponent
- CBSSports.com: Fantasy Baseball Week 23 Starts And Sits
- Second-Seeded Halep Loses To Qualifier At US Open
- 5 Most Outrageous Lies In College Sports
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures