Dallas Selected As Finalist To Host 2016 Republican National Convention
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Dallas is still in the hunt to host the Republican National Committee’s Convention in July 2016.
The Republican National Committee revealed six finalists Wednesday afternoon including Dallas, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Kansas City and Las Vegas.
The finalists were narrowed down by a vote from the RNC’s Site Selection Committee. In the next few weeks, members of the RNC staff will travel to all six finalist cities before making a recommendation to the full site selection committee. More visits and aother round of cuts will take place in May and June before the selection committee makes its recommendation to the full RNC delegation. The RNC will select a host city by vote this fall.
A statement released by the RNC said financing, convention venues, media workspace and hotel space will all play a role in the decision. Transportation will also factor into the process.
“After a painstaking review, I’m pleased to announce that six cities have moved on to the next round of consideration for the 2016 Republican National Convention. The eyes of the world will be on the RNC and our host city in the summer of 2016, and these six cities have shown they have what it takes to move forward,” said RNC SSC Enid Mickelsen.
With this step, Columbus and Phoenix have been eliminated from the list.
“In any other year, Columbus and Phoenix could have topped the list, but with so many strong cities competing, the committee had to make the difficult decision to narrow the field. Phoenix and Columbus are great American cities, and I hope they’ll pursue a future bid for an RNC convention.”
The Dallas team announced that $40 million has already been raised for the convention. In total, Dallas would need $60 million to host the convention.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Grieving Parents Giving Teens Life Or Death Warning About Ecstasy
- Renown Denton Business Frenchy’s Told To Remove American Flags
- Doctor Who Visited Africa Tests Positive For Ebola In NYC
- Pics Show Cheerleaders Topless Doing Drugs; Parents Outraged
- Task Force Shifts Ebola Patient’s Treatment Strategy
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures