Soldier Opens Fire At Fort Hood; 4 Dead, Several Injured

UPDATED April 3, 2014 9:15 AM

FORT HOOD (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – A soldier opened fire Wednesday on fellow service members at the Fort Hood military base, killing three people and wounding 16 before committing suicide at the same post where more than a dozen people were slain in a 2009 attack, authorities said.

The shooter, 34-year-old Ivan Lopez who served in Iraq in 2011, had been undergoing an assessment to determine whether he had post-traumatic stress disorder, according to Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley, the senior officer on the base. He was also undergoing psychiatric treatment for depression.

FULL COVERAGE OF FORT HOOD SHOOTING

There was no indication the attack was related to terrorism, Milley said “although we are not ruling anything out.”

A Texas congressman said the shooting happened at a medical center. Rep. Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, also identified the suspect as Ivan Lopez. But additional details about the gunman were not immediately available.

The injured were taken to Darnall Army Community Hospital at Fort Hood and other local hospitals. Dr. Glen Couchman, chief medical officer at Scott and White Hospital in Temple, said the first four people admitted there had gunshots to chest, abdomen, neck and extremities and that their conditions range from stable to “quite critical.”  At last check, nine patients had been admitted to Scott and White.

The 2009 assault on Fort Hood was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in U.S. history. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded.

After the shooting began, the Army’s official Twitter feed said the post had been locked down. Hours later, all-clear sirens sounded.

On Wednesday evening, a fatigue-clad soldier and a military police officer stood about a quarter-mile from the main gate waving away traffic. Other lanes were blocked by a police car and van.

Meanwhile, relatives of soldiers waited for news about their loved ones.

Tayra DeHart, 33, said she had last heard from her husband, a soldier at the post, that he was safe, but that was hours earlier.

“The last two hours have been the most nerve-racking I’ve ever felt. I know God is here protecting me and all the soldiers, but I have my phone in my hand just hoping it will ring and it will be my husband,” DeHart said.

Brooke Conover, whose husband was on base at the time of the shooting, said she found out about it while checking Facebook. She said she called her husband, Staff Sgt. Sean Conover, immediately to make sure he was OK, but he could not even tell her exactly what was going on, only that the base was locked down.

“I’m still hearing conflicting stories about what happened and where the shooting was exactly,” Conover said in a telephone interview, explaining that she still did not know how close the incident was to her husband.

“I just want him to come home,” said Conover, who moved to Fort Hood with her husband and three daughters two years ago.

President Barack Obama vowed that investigators would get to the bottom of the shooting.

In a hastily arranged statement in Chicago, Obama said he was following the situation closely. He said the shooting brought back painful memories of the 2009 attack.

Obama reflected on the sacrifices that troops stationed at Fort Hood have made – including enduring multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan.

“They serve with valor. They serve with distinction, and when they’re at their home base, they need to feel safe,” Obama said. “We don’t yet know what happened tonight, but obviously that sense of safety has been broken once again.”

The president spoke without notes or prepared remarks in the same room of a steakhouse where he had just met with about 25 donors at a previously scheduled fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee. White House officials quickly pushed tables to the side of the room to make room for Obama to speak to the nation.

The November 2009 attack happened inside a crowded building where soldiers were waiting to get vaccines and routine paperwork after recently returning from deployments or preparing to go to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year in that mass shooting. He said he acted to protect Islamic insurgents abroad from American aggression.

According to testimony during Hasan’s trial last August, Hasan walked inside carrying two weapons and several loaded magazines, shouted “Allahu Akbar!” – Arabic for “God is great!” – and opened fire with a handgun.

Witnesses said he targeted soldiers as he walked through the building, leaving pools of blood, spent casings and dying soldiers on the floor. Photos of the scene were shown to the 13 officers on the military jury.

The rampage ended when Hasan was shot in the back by Fort Hood police officers outside the building. He was paralyzed from the waist down and is now on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.

After that shooting, the military tightened security at bases nationwide. Those measures included issuing security personnel long-barreled weapons, adding an insider-attack scenario to their training and strengthening ties to local law enforcement, according to Peter Daly, a vice admiral who retired from the Navy in 2011. The military also joined an FBI intelligence-sharing program aimed at identifying terror threats.

>>VIDEO: CBS 11’s JD Miles Reports On Fort Hood Changes Since 2009 Shooting<<

In September, a former Navy man opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, leaving 13 people dead, including the gunman. After that shooting, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered the Pentagon to review security at all U.S. defense installations worldwide and examine the granting of security clearances that allow access to them.

Asked Wednesday about security improvements in the wake of other shootings at U.S. military bases, Hagel said, “Obviously when we have these kinds of tragedies on our bases, something’s not working.”

>>VIDEO: Tweets & Texts Part Of Fort Hood Shooting Info<<

>>VIDEO: Witnesses say Fort Hood soldiers seen jumping barbed wire<<

19-year-old Akeem Cesár Martín posted this video to Instagram, which shows what people living on post heard after the shooting:

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Latest News:

Top Trending:

Comments
  • http://www.ironicsurrealism.com/2014/04/02/breaking-shooting-at-fort-hood-army-base/ BREAKING: Shooting At Fort Hood Army Base — Base On Lockdown, Shelter In Place

    […] (CBSDFW) –FORT HOOD (CBSDFW.COM) – Authorities are responding to a shooting at the Fort Hood army base, where at least one person is dead and four people are injured, according to the CBS affiliate in Waco. The Bell Co Sheriff’s Dept confirms an active shooter is on post. KWTX reports approximately 20 rounds were fired.[…] […]

  • http://grudgemirror.com/2014/04/02/flashback-fbi-military-in-hunt-for-army-recruit-planning-fort-hood-style-jihad/ FLASHBACK: FBI, Military in hunt for Army recruit planning ‘Fort Hood-style jihad’… | GRUDGE MIRROR

    […] headline, 5th story, link) Related stories: Personnel ordered to shelter in place…REPORT: At least one dead…Multiple […]

  • http://grudgemirror.com/2014/04/02/multiple-injuries/ Multiple injuries… | GRUDGE MIRROR

    […] headline, 3rd story, link) Related stories: Personnel ordered to shelter in place…REPORT: At least one dead…LIVE…FLASHBACK: FBI, Military in hunt for Army recruit planning ‘Fort Hood-style […]

  • http://gandalf1316.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/breaking-news/ Breaking News | Gandalf's Staff

    […] Personnel ordered to shelter in place… REPORT: At least one dead… Multiple injuries… LIVE… FLASHBACK: FBI, Military in hunt for Army recruit planning […]

  • http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/04/02/multiple-shootings-reported-at-ft-hood-site-of-2009-massacre/ At Least 1 Dead In Shooting At Fort Hood, Texas; Site Of 2009 Massacre « CBS San Francisco

    […] Full Coverage At CBS Dallas/Fort Worth […]

  • http://eyesopenreport.com/shooting-at-fort-hood-one-reported-dead/ Shooting at Fort Hood, One reported dead – Eyes Open Report

    […] least one person is dead with three injured after a shooting at the Fort Hood army base, CBS DFW […]

  • http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/123532-shooting-fort-hood-multiple-injuries.html#post1895113 Shooting at Fort Hood; Multiple Injuries

    […] Just now Soldier Opens Fire At Fort Hood; 1 Dead, Several Injured « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth  […]

  • http://grudgemirror.com/2014/04/03/believed-to-be-soldier/ Believed to be soldier… | GRUDGE MIRROR

    […] headline, 2nd story, link) Related stories: REPORT: Suspected shooter dead…Multiple […]

  • http://www.heavy.com/news/2014/04/ivan-lopez-named-as-possible-fort-hood-shooter/ Ivan Lopez: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | HEAVY

    […] Ivan Lopez has tentatively been named as the shooting suspect in the Fort Hood attack that occurred on April 2, reports CBS DFW. […]

  • http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/295365-shooter-fort-hood.html#post6041976 Shooter at Fort Hood - MyLesPaul.com

    […] […]

  • http://www.marshallforum.com/backstage/67987-another-shooting-fort-hood.html#post1093785 Another Shooting at Fort Hood! - MarshallForum.com

    […] […]

  • http://lonelyconservative.com/2014/04/another-ft-hood-shooting-shooter-identified-as-ivan-lopez/ Another Ft. Hood Shooting, Shooter Identified As Ivan Lopez | The Lonely Conservative

    […] CBS News reported that the shooter was identified as 34 year old soldier Ivan Lopez. They say the shooting started as a result of a dispute between soldiers. No other details about Lopez were provided. […]

  • http://grudgemirror.com/2014/04/03/nbcnews-unrelated-to-terrorism/ NBCNEWS: Unrelated to terrorism… | GRUDGE MIRROR

    […] headline, 5th story, link) Related stories: UPDATE: 4 Dead, Including Gunman…Details…Multiple injuries…Obama Heads to Fundraiser…LIVE…FLASHBACK: FBI, […]

  • http://tammybruce.com/2014/04/open-thread-another-shooting-at-ft-hood.html Open Thread: Another Shooting at Ft. Hood « Tammy Bruce

    […] Now dead shooter ID’d as soldier Ivan Lopez. […]

  • http://pushbacknow.net/2014/04/02/99241/ Obama Left Fort Hood Terror For Fundraising |

    […] was being kept up to date on the developments from the mass shooting at Fort Hood while reportedly attending fundraisers for the 2014 election cycle. According to White House spokesman Josh Earnest, Obama is in the loop while at the […]

  • http://pushbacknow.net/2014/04/02/obama-left-fort-hood-families-for-fundraising/ Obama Left Fort Hood Families For Fundraising |

    […] was being kept up to date on the developments from the mass shooting at Fort Hood while reportedly attending fundraisers for the 2014 election cycle. According to White House spokesman Josh Earnest, Obama is in the loop while at the […]

  • http://grudgemirror.com/2014/04/03/ap-update-multiple-injuries/ AP: UPDATE; Multiple injuries… | GRUDGE MIRROR

    […] headline, 3rd story, link) Related stories: UPDATE: 4 Dead, Including Gunman…Details…Obama Heads to Fundraiser…NBCNEWS: Unrelated to […]

  • http://musingsfromamiddleagedman.com/2014/04/02/obama-heads-to-fundraiser-after-giving-brief-ft-hood-statement/ Obama Heads to Fundraiser After Giving Brief Ft. Hood Statement | Musings from a Middle Aged Man

    […] was being kept up to date on the developments from the mass shooting at Fort Hood while reportedly attending fundraisers for the 2014 election cycle. According to White House spokesman Josh Earnest, Obama is in the loop while at the […]

  • http://grudgemirror.com/2014/04/03/rep-shooter-used-45-caliber-pistol/ Rep.: Shooter used .45-caliber pistol… | GRUDGE MIRROR

    […] headline, 6th story, link) Related stories: UPDATE: 4 Dead, Including Gunman…Details…AP: UPDATE; Multiple injuries…Obama Heads to Fundraiser…NBCNEWS: Unrelated […]

  • http://www.nuttynewstoday.com/2014/04/shooting-at-fort-hood/ Nutty News | Nutty Facts | Nutty Jokes | Nutty Videos | New Nutty News Every Day at www.NuttyNewsToday.com

    […] UPDATE: 4 Dead, Including Gunman… ID'd As 34-Year-Old Ivan Lopez… ON MEDS; 'Mental Health Issues… Served in Iraq'… PTSD… 'Depression, Anxiety' UPDATE, 16 injured Obama Heads to Fundraiser NBCNEWS:  Unrelated to terrorism Rep.:  Shooter used .45-caliber pistol LIVE FLASHBACK: FBI, Military in hunt for Army recruit planning 'Fort Hood-style jihad' Nutty News Today – Nutty Videos – Nutty News Facebook Page – Nutty News on Twitter  – Nutty Videos on Twitter – Strange Crime Stories – Strange Crime Stories on Twitter  – Nutty Facts – Nutty Jokes – Sitting Monkey –  Submit Nutty News  var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true,"data_track_addressbar":false,"data_track_textcopy":false,"ui_language":"en","ui_atversion":"300","ui_cobrand":"Nutty News Today"}; var addthis_product = 'wpp-3.1'; […]

  • http://conspiracydesk.com/updated-4-dead-several-reported-injured-by-shooter-at-fort-hood-2/ Updated: 4 dead, several reported injured by shooter at Fort Hood | Conspiracydesk.com

    […] UPDATE: 4 Dead, Including Gunman… Shooter ID’d As 34-Year-Old Ivan Lopez…Multiple injuries…LIVE…FLASHBACK: FBI, Military in hunt for Army recruit planning ‘Fort Hood-style jihad’… […]

  • http://thecritical-post.com/blog/2014/04/past-breaking-news-headlines-for-april-2014-tcpchicago/ Past Breaking News Headlines For April 2014 – (TCP)CHICAGO « The Critical Post – Chicago

    […] UPDATE: 4 Dead, Including Gunman… ID'd As 34-Year-Old Ivan Lopez… ON MEDS; 'Mental Health Issues… AP: UPDATE, 16 injured… Obama Heads to Fundraiser… NBCNEWS: Unrelated to terrorism… Rep.: Shooter used .45-caliber pistol… LIVE… FLASHBACK: FBI, Military in hunt for Army recruit planning 'Fort Hood-style jihad'… […]

  • http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/news-political-forum/99892-another-fort-hood-shooting-2.html#post823098 Another Fort Hood Shooting! - Page 2 - Shooting Sports Forum

    […] […]

  • http://sixties-radio.com/4-dead-16-injured-in-fort-hood-shooting/ Sixties Radio

    […] p.m.:  CBS identified the gunman as 34-year-old Ivan Lopez, although the gunman’s identity has not been […]

  • http://hyperheadlines.com/?p=87 Wednesday, April 02, 2014 | HYPERHEADLINES

    […] Soldier Opens Fire At Fort Hood; 4 Dead, Several Injured   […]

blog comments powered by Disqus

More From CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Play.It
The Taz Show

Listen Live