Weapon Found Linked To Kaufman Prosecutor Death
DALLAS, Texas (CBSDFW/AP) – A dive team has recovered a weapon from a North Texas lake that authorities say was used in the slaying last year of a Kaufman County prosecutor.
A law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said Wednesday the weapon was retrieved from Lake Tawakoni. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly on the case.
According to sources, on March 5th divers found two weapons, one was a handgun traced to murder suspect Kim Williams, the other a revolver believed to be the gun that killed assistant Kaufman County District Attorney Mark Hasse January 31st of last year.
Sources also say ballistics tests show the shots that killed Hasse came from that same handgun. Hasse was killed a block from the Kaufman County Courthouse, but there were never any shell casings at the scene.
Attorney Ed Klein says prosecutors will now try to link the gun to former Justice of the Peace Eric Williams, accused in the murders of Hasse and District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife.
The gun used in the McLelland murders has not been found.
Jury selection began last week in the death penalty case against Williams.
Prosecutors have not said whether they will seek the death penalty against Kim Williams.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo Talks With Ben & Skin
- Plan To Decriminalize Truancy Headed For Full Texas Senate
- UNT Student Hopes PTSD Victim Memorial ‘Takes Root’
- Mother Arrested For Child Abandonment Was Childcare Professional
- Residents Troubled By Dangerous Crosswalk After Mother & Child Struck
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures