Army Says Alleged Shooter Saw No Combat In Iraq

WASHINGTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — The Army’s top civilian official says the soldier accused in the Fort Hood shooting this week was deployed for the final months of the Iraq war but did not see combat.

Three people died and 16 were wounded before the shooter committed suicide. 34-year-old Ivan Lopez (above) has been identified as the suspected shooter.

Army Secretary John McHugh testified Thursday that the soldier appeared to have no connections to extremist groups.


He enlisted in the Army in June 2008 as an infantryman and later switched his specialty to truck driver, the job he had in Iraq.

McHugh says the soldier was examined by a psychiatrist last month and was found to show no violent or suicidal tendencies. He says the soldier had been prescribed Ambien to deal with a sleeping problem.

A military official also says that Lopez was receiving treatment for PTSD, though he had not been officially diagnosed with the disorder.

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Latest News:

Top Trending:

  • Army Says Alleged Shooter Saw No Combat In Iraq | Top Dallas News

    […] Read More […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
The Taz Show

Listen Live