Family: 1 Fort Hood Victim Was Illinois Sergeant
TEMPLE (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Relatives say a U.S. Army sergeant from Illinois was one of the soldiers killed in a shooting at Fort Hood.
Family members identified the victim as U.S. Army Sgt. Timothy Owens, a native of Effingham, Ill.
Owens was one of four people — including the gunman — killed during the Wednesday attack at the U.S. Army post in central Texas. Another 16 were wounded. Three of those wounded, previously in critical condition, have been upgraded to serious condition — two of those people required additional surgery Thursday.
Glen Welton of Effingham is Owens’ cousin. Welton says he learned of Owens’ death Wednesday in a telephone call from Owens’ wife, Billie Owens.
Welton was not familiar with details of Sgt. Owens’ death.
Owens’ mother, 77-year-old Mary Muntean of Effingham, said she had learned of her son’s death in a phone call with her daughter-in-law, too.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Off-Duty Abilene Police Officer Found Dead In Home
- Teen Holding Gun While Taking ‘Selfies’ Fatally Shot
- No More Locked Fire Hydrants In Lavon
- Prosecutor: 2nd Video Emerges Of Deadly Shooting By Deputies
- City Worker Destroys Youth Soccer League’s Goalposts
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures