DALLAS, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — An off-duty police officer shot and killed an attacker on Friday just a block away from police headquarters in Dallas.
Police say two construction workers saw a man in their fenced parking lot on Lamar Street around 9:30 a.m. While escorting the man from the lot, the suspect began attacking a male worker with a knife. A female employee began screaming for help and dialed 9-1-1.
Off-duty Dallas Police Sergeant Jackie Moore, who happened to be across the street, heard the screams and responded. The 15-year-veteran then shot and killed the suspect.
Investigators have not identified the deceased attacker or revealed a motive.
“The witnesses are sharing with us that the attack came without any motive, without any notice whatsoever,” said Major Jeff Cotner. “Hopefully, our victim will survive. We are very optimistic of that and then we’ll have an opportunity to talk to him and maybe we’ll get better understanding on it.”
North and southbound Lamar Streets were shutdown while detectives examined the scene.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Homeowner, Burglary Suspect Exchange Gunfire; Suspect Struck
- As Early Voting Begins, Both Parties In N. Texas Say They’re Energized
- Gun Law Seldom Enforced In Texas Leaves Weapons In Hands Of Abusers
- Suspect With Knife Shot, Killed By Denton Officer
- Skimming Devices Found On Pumps At Busy Gas Station In Pleasant Grove
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures