Rodriguez, Odorizzi Help Rays Top Rangers 8-1
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Sean Rodriguez homered and tied a career-high with four RBIs, Jake Odorizzi got his first major league win, and the Tampa Bay Rays routed the Texas Rangers 8-1 Friday night.
Rodriguez got a two-out RBI in the first when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, and hit a three-run homer during the third that put the Rays up 4-0. He was back in the lineup after missing Thursday night’s 7-2 win over Toronto for the birth of his son.
Odorizzi (1-0) allowed three hits in six innings in his seventh big league start and 10th game overall. Ryan Hanigan hit a three-run homer during the fifth for the Rays.
Rangers left-hander Joe Saunders (0-1) left in the fourth with a bruised left ankle after getting hit by Evan Longoria’s liner. Saunders gave up five runs and six hits in 3 2-3 innings.
Texas slugger Prince Fielder got his first RBI since Sept. 22, a drought of 20 regular and postseason games, with a run-scoring single in the eighth.
The Rangers wasted a great scoring opportunity in the fourth. With runners on first-and-second and one out, Mitch Moreland singled, but Fielder got tagged out in a rundown between third and home. The inning ended when Donnie Murphy struck out.
Rays right fielder and 2013 AL Rookie of the Year Wil Myers had a fourth-inning RBI single that made it 5-0. He sat out Thursday’s game due to flulike symptoms.
“It came on during batting practice. It was real quick,” Myers said. “It went away last night. I feel better today.”
Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon won his challenge in the seventh after it was first ruled that Myers didn’t make the catch while sliding forward on J.P. Arencibia’s two-out flare. After a 1:43 delay, the umpires changed the call to an out.
It was Maddon’s first challenge.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 1 Billion People Used Facebook In Single Day
- Apple Schedules New Product Announcement
- Rookie Spotlight: Kevin White To Become Part Of Dynamic Duo With Chicago Bears
- Sprint Offers Deal To DIRECTV Customers
- Obama ‘Inspired’ By People Of New Orleans
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures