DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) — Every year, when the SEC Tournament settles on the favorite city of most SEC Alums, one color stands out among the rest.
There’s no mistaking it. Its a crisp blue, a clean white, and underneath the fabric is the exact stereotype you would imagine a Kentucky fan to be. Good and bad.
It didn’t take long for Atlanta to be renamed “Cat-Lanta,” and about 5 seconds later every SEC Coach grew tired of it.
I expected no different this weekend, but so far, I haven’t seen it.
I took my 4-year-old son, Luca, to Bracket-Town Friday afternoon, expecting and hoping to run into loads of Cammo-Hat wearing UK fans in sleeveless shirts. I didn’t see it. I didn’t see any.
Maybe it was a Friday afternoon, but knowing the UK Fans, they get here early and they expect to stay late. Maybe I was at the wrong facility, or maybe I just missed them by an hour or two. Or maybe they were getting ready for Jason Aldean. Who knows. But I was thoroughly stunned to not see ONE UK FAN!
If you had told me that I’d go to the biggest event of the day, in the afternoon on a Friday, and my 4-year-old would get to play at every station there was in two hours, I’d think you were lying right to my face. But that’s what it was.
Void of any Kentucky presence.
Saw some UCONN fans. How can you miss ’em? They all look like a classier version of Joe Pesci in Casino, but younger, so they look Jersey Shore.
Saw some Wisconsin fans. How can you miss ’em? They haven’t seen the sun since July.
Saw some Florida fans. How can you miss ’em? They’re all wearing jean shorts.
The only Kentucky fans I saw was a family of four, with two teenage kids who looked like they wanted no part of what they’re parents were trying to get them to do, but who were smart enough not to pass up a trip to the Final Four.
I expect differently on Saturday, and so should Wisconsin. If the Badgers (or is it pronounced BAAAAAAdger?) expect today to be any indication of what we will see Saturday, I think they haven’t been paying attention. If there’s one thing Kentucky does well, does exceptionally well, its travel to go see basketball games.
Now if they could just get that whole education, dental hygiene, tobacco addiction under control, they might have something…
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Latest Tournament News:
- 5 Things You Missed: Villanova Earns Second Title In Dominating Fashion
- Duke Tops (Way Too Early) AP Poll For 2018-19 College Basketball Season
- Villanova Never Challenged Along Way To Another NCAA Basketball Title
- After The Title Game, An Uncertain Future Looms For College Basketball
- Michigan Faces Tall Order Against Villanova In NCAA Championship Game
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures