UConn Looks And Sounds As Confident As Ever
Sports Fan Insider
ARLINGTON, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Saturday morning at the Legends of the Hardwood breakfast honoring Del Harris with the John Wooden 7 Keys to Life Award, former LSU coach Dale Brown told Clark Kellogg his LSU team didn’t get hot.
“They got confident,” Brown said. “And once that confidence took over they did things their minds knew they could do even if somebody said it was impossible.”
Granted Brown’s team fell to Louisville in the semi finals in 1986, but they got to the Final Four nonetheless.
UCONN’s Deandre Daniels absolutely sounds like he’s confident after rolling the odds on favorite Florida 63-54 in the semifinals at AT&T Stadium.
“We don’t back down from nobody no matter who it is,” Daniels said. “This team has heart and we won’t back down.”
Many people looked at UCONN as an underdog coming into the tournament as a No. 7 seed. Heck they lost twice to NIT runner-up SMU.
But Daniels mind is having none of that.
“People kept saying man nobody is talking about you. I decided everybody will be.”
During the game it looked like Florida and the big stage was overwhelming UCONN up 16-4 early in the first half. After a timeout UCONN went on a 35-15 run.
We told each other just settle down it’s a big building and don’t let the fans overwhelm us. Coach (Kevin) Ollie told everybody to get to the rim. So we all started attacking the basket.”
During that break Terrance Samuel said Ollie told them to “Be the team I want you to be and we just went from there up 25-22 we said just keep it going.”
And Samuel is in the same page as Daniels.
“I don’t know why we’ve been under the radar,” Samuel said. “We’re a real close team though and we don’t let outsiders say anything. Those losses to Louisville hurt. After that we went back and everybody practiced, everybody played through injuries. We’re just a real close group.”
A real close group that is heading to the NCAA Championship Game Monday Night on 105.3 The Fan.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers Win 7th Straight, Rout AL-Best Angels 12-3
- Flu Shots = Big Business For Retailers
- Wendy Davis Attacks Greg Abbott In First Debate
- Few Fireworks In First Texas Governor’s Debate
- Police Now Involved In Battle Over Locked Fire Hydrants
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures