DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Police arrested a man suspected of drunk driving Saturday night after he crossed over multiple lanes of traffic, then hit a curb, fire hydrant and fence before plowing into an apartment complex.
The accident happened around 11:15 p.m. near the 5100 block of Village Fair Drive at I-35E in Dallas.
Police say 35-year-old Jameel Moffett was traveling southbound on R. L. Thornton Freeway in the left lane, when his vehicle cut across three lanes of traffic and off the road.
Moffett’s vehicle then hit a curb and continued on the grass between the freeway and the service road, colliding with a fire hydrant along the way.
The vehicle went through a fence and plowed into one unit of an apartment complex. Only one person was inside the unit when the crash happened, and was uninjured.
Moffett became pinned inside his vehicle and was extracted by first responders. He was then transported to Baylor Hospital and later released to Lew Sterrett, arrested and charged with DWI.
Moffett is currently being held on a $500 bond.
A Dallas County criminal background search reveals that Moffett was previously arrested for DWI in May 2011, but the charged was dismissed in July 2013.
The background search also reveals that Moffett has a lengthy history with Dallas County authorities, including convictions of marijuana possession, evading arrest, unlawful carrying of a handgun and theft.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- State Rep. Wants To End Incentives For Film Industry In Wake Of Weinstein Revelations
- Passionate Arguments On Future Of Confederate Monuments In Dallas
- Judge HR Sparks NY, Yanks Beat Astros 6-4 To Even ALCS At 2
- Celebrate 20 Years Of Dirk!
- Football Game Cancelled After Head-On Crash Involving School Bus
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures