ARLINGTON (105.3 THE FAN) — Yeah, UConn won the National Championship game over Kentucky’s incredible freshmen 60-54. It was a thrilling game, but the fans of basketball were the real winners.
Those who came to AT&T Stadium got their money’s worth. Don’t believe spoiled media who complain about being bused “over there” to a building too large for basketball. With over 79,000 fans per night this was much better than 20,000 corporate types showing up a huge sporting event they had no connection to.
Everybody who wanted to “be there” won. Every fan who wanted to say they were there had that chance.
Everybody who put in the work to bring this event to DFW won. It was an outstanding accomplishment for all involved and it will happen in Arlington sometime soon.
Kevin Ollie, the hard working young coach of the UConn Huskies, won the respect of those who love basketball and those who love underdogs. He is and they were. His mom and dad, who live in Dallas and Plano, respectively, raised him with a strong work ethic and he rewarded them by reaching a goal few achieve so soon on the job.
Even the Kentucky Wildcats won. As talented as they are, they were seeded 8th because they were too young to dominate the regular season. They found out how good they can be just in time for March Madness. No, they didn’t take the title. but they proved they could compete. If they stay together, they should be back. If some turn pro, then they gained invaluable experience under the greatest spotlight.
I’m glad college basketball captured the nation’s attention again. Ratings are up and I’m glad to say the Final Four delivered a winner.
Oh yeah i won too. i picked UConn and I enjoyed every minute of their success. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Latest NCAA Tournament:
- Rising Star: Villanova Guard Phil Booth
- Five Things: Best NCAA Championship Game Ever?
- Villanova Wins NCAA Championship At Buzzer 77-74
- 5 Things: Final Four Margin Of Victory Record Obliterated
- North Carolina Tops Syracuse 83-66 To Advance To Title Game
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures