DALLAS (AP) – If you use miles to get a free ticket on American Airlines, you may have to pay to check that suitcase.
American and US Airways announced changes Tuesday to their policies on checked-bag fees and redeeming miles for free flights.
Passengers traveling on American on miles they earned or who paid full price for an economy seat won’t get free checked bags anymore. Some elite-level frequent fliers on both airlines will get one less free bag than before.
When it comes to redeeming miles for free flights, US Airways is ending blackout days. American will change the number of miles to get an unrestricted free flight — more on popular travel days, fewer on less-busy ones. And it’s making an array of changes to the miles needed for international trips.
Suzanne Rubin, an American Airlines vice president who oversees the AAdvantage loyalty program, said the changes will increase revenue but she declined to give a figure.
The two carriers merged in December and formed American Airlines Group Inc., and Tuesday’s changes are designed to bring the policies of the two closer together. Between them, they have 110 million loyalty-program members, Rubin said.
— For U.S. travel on or after June 1, American members can redeem miles for an unrestricted “AAnytime” award at 20,000 miles, 30,000 miles or 50,000 each way instead of the current 25,000-mile flat rate. The less-flexible “MileSAAver” awards will continue to start at 12,500 miles.
— Mid-tier elite members (platinum on American; gold and platinum on US Airways) will get two free checked bags; a reduction of one for the US Airways’ Dividend Miles elites.
— Lower-level elites (gold on American; silver on US Airways) will get one free checked bag, a reduction from two for the American customers.
— Removing a charge for second checked bags on trips to South America.
Rubin said the company was not considering charging a fee for carry-on bags, as Spirit Airlines does.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Team USA Falls To Columbia 1-0, Finishes 4th In Copa America
- One Dead In Fort Worth Convenience Store Robbery
- Corruption Cases Casts Harsh Light On NYPD Handgun Permits
- Houston Mother Fatally Shoots Two Daughters Before Police Kill Her
- Ex-Deputy Gets Three Life Terms For Sexually Assaulting Girl
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures