FORT HOOD (CBSDFW.COM) – Friends, family members and service members will gather on Wednesday at Fort Hood to honor lives which were cut short. It was exactly one week ago that an Iraq War veteran unleashed a reign of terror at the Army post, the second mass shooting Fort Hood has seen in the past five years.
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama traveled to Fort Hood back in 2009 to honor the victims of a mass shooting that left 13 people dead and 32 others hurt. The President and First Lady will return on Wednesday to honor the victims of last week’s mass shooting, where three people died and 16 more were wounded.
A White House spokesman said that ceremonies and services like this happen far too often, and never become routine. Fort Hood along with the entire nation will pause on Wednesday to remember the victims. About 2,000 people have been invited to attend the service.
Meanwhile, Army officials confirmed what investigators already knew, that Army Specialist and Iraq War veteran Ivan Lopez took his own life at the end of a shooting spree. Officials at the post said that Lopez argued with soldiers in his unit just moments before the shooting began. He was reportedly angry over being denied leave.
- State Rep. Wants To End Incentives For Film Industry In Wake Of Weinstein Revelations
- Passionate Arguments On Future Of Confederate Monuments In Dallas
- Judge HR Sparks NY, Yanks Beat Astros 6-4 To Even ALCS At 2
- Celebrate 20 Years Of Dirk!
- Football Game Cancelled After Head-On Crash Involving School Bus
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures