FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) – Security is tight at Fort Hood where a memorial ceremony will be held a week after a gunman fired on fellow soldiers, killing three and wounding 16.
Rigorous searches are being conducted Wednesday near Sakorski Field at the Army post in Central Texas. The afternoon ceremony will be held at the field – barricaded by a wall of stacked, gray containers – and feature an address by President Barack Obama.
People started taking their seats hours before the ceremony begins. A team of soldiers contending with strong winds wrestled a large American flag into place as a backdrop for speakers.
Obama and first lady Michelle Obama arrived Wednesday morning at Fort Hood’s Gray Army Airfield.
Investigators say Spc. Ivan Lopez shot the others April 2 before fatally shooting himself with his handgun.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Amazing TRON Roller Coaster At Shanghai Disneyland
- US Home Prices Rose In August, Lifted By Dwindling Supply
- School Improvement Up For Discussion At FWISD Meeting
- Pediatricians: Babies Should Sleep In Same Room As Parents
- Council: Prince’s Paisley Park Museum Can Open Permanently
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures