NEW YORK (AP) — Subway says an ingredient that has been dubbed the “yoga mat” chemical will be entirely phased out of its bread by next week.
The disclosure comes as Subway has suffered from bad publicity since a food blogger petitioned the chain to remove the ingredient.
The ingredient is approved by the Food and Drug Administration and can be found in a variety of products. But the blogger said she targeted Subway because of its healthy food image.
The petition gained attention after it noted the chemical was also used as a bleaching agent and to make yoga mats.
Tony Pace, Subway’s chief marketing officer, told the AP in a phone interview that the chain started phasing the ingredient late last year and that the process should be complete within a week.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Hotel Scheme Hooks Scholars From Around The World
- Cowtown Distillery First In Fort Worth To Make Bourbon
- T.J. Miller Arrested After Alleged Argument With Cab Driver
- Technology Alerts Oak Cliff Homeowner To Armed Intruder
- 9 Suburban Dallas Officers Fired For Falsifying Reports
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures