AMSTERDAM (AP) — Police in the Netherlands have arrested a 14-year-old girl on suspicion of threatening American Airlines in a tweet.
Police spokesman Roland Ekkers said the girl, who has not been identified for privacy reasons, turned herself in to Rotterdam police in the company of a parent Monday and is now being interrogated.
The tweet posted Sunday said it came from an al-Qaida member in Afghanistan named Ibrahim and threatened to “do something really big on June 1.” But the account’s handle came with the nickname “Sarah” and a profile image of a young woman.
Apologetic tweets were posted to the account after the airline replied it was taking the threat seriously and calling in law enforcement.
Ekkers said the motive for the tweet is not yet known.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Keidel: Is J.J. Watt Already Hall Of Fame-Bound?
- Christina Morris Kidnapper Sentenced To Life In Prison
- Texas Lottery Announces Record $5B In Fiscal 2016 Sales
- Fish Report: 10 Cowboys FishTips Prepping For 49ers
- After Fatal Train Crash, Investigators Seek Answers
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures