COLLIN COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – Collin County is one of the many North Texas counties under a freeze warning tonight – which is unusual since the last frost generally occurs in March.
Normally this time of year there are ferns and flowers outside a nursery on Custer Road, in Plano.
Monday morning, employees of Calloway’s Nursery worked to bring everything inside once word of a possible freeze started spreading.
The front that passed through Sunday night caused cold winds to sweep through, and it’s a blow to Collin County homeowners who just spent big money on spring landscaping.
Debbie Hickmann planted flowers in her front and backyard that could die from the expected freeze. She said her only option is to bring in her potted plants and wrap up those outside that are most vulnerable.
“When you invest that much money it’s very concerning,” Hickmann said. “But I think our weather is… ya know, we’re having these horrible winters and ice storms and then our summers are up in the 100s.”
Frost cloths were big sellers at area garden stores. The items are designed to protect outdoor plants from the cold. The Calloway’s location in Plano sold out of the cloths within 15 minutes of opening Monday.
Experts at the Dallas Arboretum have some recommendations for landscape care in near freezing and freezing temperatures –
- Cover any tender plants and flowers
- Don’t use plastic to cover plants, because moisture can get trapped underneath making plants colder
- The best bet is to cover plants with towels or blankets
- Turn off sprinkler system
- Bring pets inside
Other businesses that would rather see winter go away include Henry’s Ice Cream. Owner Henry Gentry told CBS 11 News his retail business is 70-percent better in the summer and right now he’s relying on wholesale business to help offset a cold April day.
“We have a warm greeting. We have hot fudge, so we lay up all the positives,” he said laughing.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Mavs Acquire PF/C Nerlens Noel
- Chronic Stress Linked To A Bigger Waistline In New Study
- Reports: MRI On Hamilton’s Knee Comes Back Clean
- Roy Talks To Legendary NHL Player, NBC Analyst Jeremy Roenick
- ‘Extremely Critical’ Wildfire Alert In Texas, 2 Other States
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures