HOUSTON (AP) – A prominent immigration reform advocate faces a prominent Republican hardliner on immigration reform Tuesday in a debate recorded for Spanish-language television stations statewide.
The Houston debate pits San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro against state Sen. Dan Patrick, a Houston Republican competing against Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst in a May 27 GOP primary.
Castro advocates granting legal residency to young people brought by their parents into the United States without papers.
Castro has been critical of Patrick, a tea party-backed radio talk show host who has decried what he calls the “invasion” of immigrants coming across the Texas border. Patrick was dogged shortly before the March 4 first primary by allegations, which he denied, that he knowingly hired immigrants in the country illegally at bars he owned in the 1980s.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fantasy Football Week 3 Starts And Sits
- Top Quarterbacks Guiding Teams To Top Of Big 12
- Oklahoma Takes 13-Game Winning Streak To Baylor
- Oklahoma State Meets TCU In Early Big 12 Showdown
- Rangers Release New Renderings Of Globe Life Field
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures