AUSTIN (AP) — The attorney Gov. Rick Perry hired amid a grand jury investigation into abuse of power allegations has a $450 hourly contract.
Austin attorney David Botsford is being paid with taxpayer dollars. Perry spokeswoman Lucy Nashed said Tuesday that using state funds is appropriate since the case involves “actions by the governor while acting in his official capacity.”
A watchdog group claims Perry carried out an unlawful threat upon vetoing $7.5 million for public corruption prosecutors last summer.
The state Public Integrity Unit is under Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg, who was convicted of drunken driving last year. Perry called for Lehmberg to resign and vetoed the funding when she didn’t.
His aides say Perry had the right to use his veto power.
A judge seated a grand jury Monday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cubs Trail Dodgers 3-0 In NLCS After Darvish Dominates
- Rockets Rally To Inch Past Defending Champion Warriors 122-121
- Bishop Makes 27 Saves As Stars Beat Winless Coyotes 3-1
- SEC Seeks To Build Off Strong 2017 NCAA Basketball Performance
- State Rep. Wants To End Incentives For Film Industry In Wake Of Weinstein Revelations
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures