Players Championship Changes To 3-Hole Playoff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – The Players Championship is changing this year to a three-hole aggregate playoff involving the closing stretch at the TPC Sawgrass.
PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem announced the new format Wednesday.
The Players Championship previously was a sudden-death playoff that began on the par-3 17th hole, famous for having an island green. Starting this year, a playoff would take place on the par-5 16th hole, the 17th, and the par-4 18th. If players are still tied, it would go to sudden death starting on the 17th.
The Players Championship is May 8-11. It becomes the only regular PGA Tour event to use a playoff format that is not sudden death.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Garland Police On Muhammad Exhibit Shooting: “We Were Prepared”
- Keidel: Pacquiao Should Pack It In
- 2 Dead In Shooting At Muhammad Art Exhibit In Garland
- Hit And Run Accident In North Dallas Turns Deadly
- Victims In Fort Worth Armed Robbery Spree Speak Out
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures