PLANO (KRLD) — A citizen spotted four-month-old Nina limping with a broken leg. The Chihuahua mix had a bandage wrapped so tightly around its leg that it cut off circulation.
By the time she was taken to the Plano Animal Shelter, it was too late. The leg had to be amputated.
“Who knows how bad the infection could have gotten. She could have died from it,” said Jamie Cantrell with Plano Animal Services.
Cantrell says this is just one of many cases where owners should avoid DIY veterinary care. Officials suggest that pet owners always seek consultation from a veterinary professional with pet health concerns.
“You always have your local animal shelters that you can got to,” said Cantrell. “Most places can either steer you towards some lower cost alternative, or at the very least, you can surrender them and hopefully they can provide them with the care that they need.”
Thanks to citizen donations, Nina is now able to walk on three legs. Her foster family fell in love with her and adopted her.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- As Trump Wins, Clinton Exploring How To Win Over Republicans
- Graceland, Home Of Elvis, Receives 20 Millionth Paid Visitor
- Reports Shows Drop In Overall Crime At U.S. Schools
- Trader Joe’s Recalls Certain Frozen Veggies Over Listeria Fears
- Spieth Refreshed, Ready To Return Following Masters Meltdown
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures