ARLINGTON (CBS 11 NEWS) – Police are investigating the death of a 17-year-old Arlington High School student who fell from a moving SUV.
Lelys Leyva-Monreal fell from a moving vehicle along Cooper Street near West Park Row in Arlington around 2:45 a.m. Saturday morning, police said.
Leyva-Monreal was one of five people inside an SUV that police say was coming from a Dallas nightclub.
Witnesses told police that Leyva-Monreal and her boyfriend were arguing in the backseat before Leyva-Monreal began to crawl out the window of the moving vehicle.
“They tried to stop her, they tried to pull her back,” said Danielle Landtrip, the victim’s best friend who spoke to the other passengers in the vehicle.
Leyva-Monreal fell, hit her head and then part of her body was run over by the SUV.
The driver pulled over, let the other three passengers out of the vehicle and then fled the scene.
A clerk at a nearby convenience store called 911.
Police believe alcohol was a factor in the incident.
Police eventually got in touch with the driver, who has been cooperating with police.
The other passengers were also interviewed by police.
Police say if the group was drinking illegally at a Dallas nightclub, TABC could possibly get involved and charges could be filed.
Now Leyva-Monreal’s parents are struggling to find answers to what led up to their daughter’s death.
Arlington High School will have grief counselors on hand for students on Monday.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Fort Worth Officer Involved In Deadly Auto-Pedestrian Crash
- I-Team: Dallas Co. Seized Land Two Years Ago, Won’t Say How Owner Can Get It Back
- Jerry Jones Apologizes For ‘Inappropriate’ Comment Amid Growing Tension With Goodell
- Exhibit Opens Saturday Honoring Dallas Officer Who Was Killed The Day Of JFK’s Assassination
- Woman Says Botched ‘Brazilian Butt Lift’ Left Her In Wheelchair
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures