RG3 To Be Honorary Pace Car Driver At Richmond
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) – Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III will drive the pace car before Saturday night’s NASCAR race at Richmond.
Richmond International Raceway made the announcement Wednesday, and says it happened with some help from Twitter.
The track says NASCAR driver and devout Redskins fan Dale Earnhardt Jr. got the ball rolling in late March when he tweeted to Griffin about being Grand Marshal for the race. Track President Dennis Bickmeier chimed in on Twitter, telling Griffin he’d love to have him drive the pace car instead.
The following Monday, RIR officials reached out to the Redskins, and plans were finalized.
Griffin is scheduled to lead the field around for three parade laps on the 0.75-mile oval, and then to the start of the 400-lap race.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police Investigating Garland Murder Asking For Public Tips
- 5 Things I Hope Happen In Cowboys Training Camp
- Kraft Recalling American Cheese Slices Over Choking Concerns
- Bobbi Kristina To Be Buried Next To Mother
- Ready To Play: How Dontae Johnson Gears Up For The NFL Season
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures