Police: Man ‘Armed’ With Potato Arrested
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Police in Rhode Island have arrested a man who allegedly wielded a potato disguised as a gun during a robbery attempt last week.
The CBS affiliated television station WPRI-TV in Providence reports that 34-year-old Gary Deming of Cranston was arrested on robbery charges. Authorities say he pretended he had a gun when he demanded money from a convenience store and dry cleaner April 21.
The convenience store manager chased him off with a baseball bat. A dry cleaner employee gave him a fake $20 from a decoy register.
The station reports Deming is also accused of breaking into his sister’s home on the same day as the alleged potato incidents. She told police he took a purse, debit card and $100 in cash.
A telephone listing for Deming couldn’t be found. It’s not clear if he has legal representation.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Staples: Customer Data Exposed In Security Breach
- Rondo Wants Another Title Run In Move To Dallas
- Perry: Top Official Resigning Over No-Bid Contract
- Unexpected Surprise For Some Collin County Burglary Victims
- Animal Shelter At Code Red Full; Specials Offered
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures