Manziel Questions Dominate Cowboys Pre-Draft Press Conference
IRVING, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was showered with questions regarding Heisman winning quarterback Johnny Manziel on Tuesday at the teams pre-NFL Draft press conference at Valley Ranch.
Jones refused to rule anything out, but did suggest that Dallas doesn’t want a rookie behind center next season.
“I’m not that gunned up about what a rookie QB could do for us this year,” said Jones. “This isn’t rebuilding time.”
The Cowboys, who finished 8-8 for a third consecutive season in 2013, hold the No. 16 pick in Thursday’s draft. Many project that Manziel — and most of the top-rated arms for that matter — will be off the board when Dallas selects.
Jones did hint that the Cowboys could trade up if a “tremendous talent starts getting near you”, but the owner/GM also made one thing clear.
“It is not our primary goal to be looking at a QB in the first round.”
There are many reasons to believe the Cowboys’ GM, but doubters (or dreamers) point to a seemingly “perfect fit” between Dallas and Johnny Football.
Jones is no stranger to draft day deals, and it’s well documented that he covets high-profile players. Manziel is just that.
“I’m a big fan of [Manziel] — serious fan of his,” Jones told Ben & Skin on 105.3 The Fan in February. “As a football player — as a winner.”
The other hurdle to Manziel becoming a Cowboy? The team is committed to quarterback Tony Romo, who signed a 6-year, $108 million contract in March.
Romo is currently rehabbing from a December surgery resulting from a herniated disc, but Jones expressed little concern about his QB.
“A strength of our team. We feel good about Tony’s health. Everything’s what we want it to be at this time.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Browns QB Johnny Manziel Apologises To Fans, Team After Rehab Stint
- Dez Says ‘I’m Making The Decisions Now’
- Adrian Peterson Reinstated To NFL
- Eagles Fans Remind Christie He’s Not In Dallas
- No Winston Or Mariota At NFL Draft
- Johnny Manziel At Rangers Game Days After Leaving Rehab
- Anthony Spencer Signs With Saints
- Steelers Star Polamalu Reportedly Retiring
- Dallas Cowboys Announce 2015 Preseason Schedule
- Denver Broncos CB Aqib Talib Involved In Dallas Nightclub Incident