BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Johnny Football’s long wait is over.
The Cleveland Browns selected Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick of the NFL draft on Thursday night, moving up to nab college football’s most exciting player who waited most of the first round to be selected.
The Browns made two earlier trades and passed on Manziel. With a chance to land him again, the Browns traded with Philadelphia and jumped from No. 26 to No. 22 to nab Johnny Football, who walked on Radio Music City Hall’s stage doing his signature “money” gesture.
Manziel will certainly sell tickets in Cleveland, but the Browns need him to win and there are questions about the 5-foot-11 QB’s durability.
Manziel is expected to compete with Brian Hoyer, who is coming off knee surgery.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cardinals Finally Head Home To Face Cowboys
- Miller Baffled By Low Hit From Cowboys WR Brown
- Report: Hernandez Had Severe CTE; Daughter Sues NFL, New England Patriots
- LA Rams Hold Off 49ers 41-39 In Thursday Night Thriller
- Ezekiel Elliott: Frustration Is No Excuse For My Lack Of Effort
- Damontre Moore Ready To ‘Pedal’ Into Cowboys Lineup
- Chiefs Take Over Top Spot In AP Pro32 Poll; Falcons Are 2nd
- Timmons Suspended Indefinitely By Dolphins After Going AWOL
- Jerry Jones Admits Not Always On ‘Same Side’ As Commissioner Goodell
- Judge: NFL Concussion Victims Hit With ‘Deceptive Practices’