BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Johnny Football’s long wait is over.
The Cleveland Browns selected Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick of the NFL draft on Thursday night, moving up to nab college football’s most exciting player who waited most of the first round to be selected.
The Browns made two earlier trades and passed on Manziel. With a chance to land him again, the Browns traded with Philadelphia and jumped from No. 26 to No. 22 to nab Johnny Football, who walked on Radio Music City Hall’s stage doing his signature “money” gesture.
Manziel will certainly sell tickets in Cleveland, but the Browns need him to win and there are questions about the 5-foot-11 QB’s durability.
Manziel is expected to compete with Brian Hoyer, who is coming off knee surgery.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Browns Benched Manziel For Violating Team’s Trust
- Dallas Cowboys Still Headline Thanksgiving
- Former Cowboys RB Joseph Randle Arrested In Kansas
- Dallas Cowboys Favored Over Carolina Panthers Leads Week’s Headlines
- Manziel Could Be Benched By Browns For Off-Field Behavior
- With Romo & Dez Back Jones Says Cowboys Will Have “Our Best Team On Field”
- Manziel Video Causes Stir During Browns Bye Week
- Cowboys Try To Revive Season Against Undefeated Carolina Panthers
- Cowboys Face Carolina With 3-0 Romo
- Team Grades: Cowboys Break Losing Streak With Win Over Dolphins