BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Johnny Football’s long wait is over.
The Cleveland Browns selected Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick of the NFL draft on Thursday night, moving up to nab college football’s most exciting player who waited most of the first round to be selected.
The Browns made two earlier trades and passed on Manziel. With a chance to land him again, the Browns traded with Philadelphia and jumped from No. 26 to No. 22 to nab Johnny Football, who walked on Radio Music City Hall’s stage doing his signature “money” gesture.
Manziel will certainly sell tickets in Cleveland, but the Browns need him to win and there are questions about the 5-foot-11 QB’s durability.
Manziel is expected to compete with Brian Hoyer, who is coming off knee surgery.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ESPN Signs Chip Kelly As College Football Studio Analyst
- Ex-Pro Bowler Washington Would Love Chance With Hometown Cowboys
- NFL Pro Bowl Returning To Orlando In 2018
- NFL Cuts OT From 15 Minutes To 10, Citing Player Safety
- Tony Romo To Make CBS Debut At Dean & DeLuca Invitational
- Browns Sign Top Overall Draft Pick Myles Garrett
- Gisele Bundchen: Tom Brady Had A Concussion Last Year
- LeGarrette Blount Joins The Eagles On 1-Year Contract
- ESPN’s Mowins Set To Be 1st Woman To Call NFL Game Since ’87
- ‘Dr Phil’ To Air 2nd Interview With Hernandez’s Fiancee