HEARNE (AP) – Friends say 93-year-old Pearlie Golden still shopped at the grocery store in the small Texas town of Hearne. Now they and Hearne’s mayor want the police officer who shot and killed her gone.
Texas Rangers are investigating what led to a Hearne police officer fatally shooting Golden at her home after responding to a 911 disturbance call this week. Hearne police have said in a statement that Golden “brandished a gun” when Officer Stephen Stem arrived Tuesday night.
Prosecutors say a preliminary autopsy shows Golden was struck twice in her body and grazed once.
Dozens of protesters Thursday marched to police headquarters in Hearn. Mayor Ruben Gomez greeted them and said he will recommend that the officer be fired at a city council meeting Saturday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2 Officers Shot At Dallas Home Depot; Suspect In Custody After Chase
- Rapper Meek Mill Released From Jail After Court Order
- Cowboys’ Witten, NFL Prospects Help Kids Get Suited For Success
- Emergency Special Election Will Replace Texas’ Farenthold
- Dallas 80-Year-Old To Graduate College After 12-Year Effort
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures