FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – One of the teenage victims of this year’s deadly South by Southwest crash attended prom Saturday night.
“I’m strong and I am taking everything day by day,” said Davis, who was nearly killed. Davis said prom feels like a chance at normalcy.
Davis’ recovery is coming along faster than she expected.
Davis was at SXSW with her boyfriend Deandre Tatum, when a suspected drunk driver plowed through the crowd, running down the couple and dozens of others.
Davis said she, her boyfriend, and another friend had just picked up something to eat and were walking down the sidewalk. That’s the last thing she remembers. “We was [sic] all walking next to each other… and all of a sudden we all got split up,” Davis told CBS 11 News.
Tatum died from his traumatic injuries.
“It’s unbelievable and it makes me mad sometimes,” said Davis.
One of their mutual friends Lamarcus Sapp, was Davis’ prom date.
“I decided to ask her because I understand everything she went through and it was just me and her and we thought about going to prom before,” said Sapp.
A nonprofit organization called BAM, which stands for “Beautiful Ambitious Me” took care of all of Davis’ prom styling.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Debate Over JFK Assassination Continues In Dallas After Release Of Documents
- Person Shot To Death During Altercation At Dallas Strip Mall
- Officials Investigating Fire At Luxury Hotel Landmark In Dallas
- Mayfield Snubbed As No. 3 Sooners Roll 41-3 Win Over Kansas
- Investigation Underway After Fort Worth Police Vehicle Hits, Kills Pedestrian
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures