NEW YORK, NY (AP) – The 249th pick in the NFL draft has the second most popular jersey of all the players selected last weekend – but Johnny Football rules the roost as the hottest jersey in the NFL.
Michael Sam’s Rams jersey was the No. 2 seller among rookies on NFLShop.com. Sam became the first openly gay player to be drafted when St. Louis took him late in the seventh and final round Saturday.
The top seller was quarterback Johnny Manziel’s. In fact, more Johnny Football jerseys have been purchased since April 1 than those of any NFL veteran.
League spokesman Brian McCarthy says NFLShop.com sold nearly as many for Manziel from Thursday to Sunday as it did for Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck and Tim Tebow combined during their respective draft weekends.
No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney had the third most popular rookie jersey, followed by the other two QBs taken in the first round: Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles.
The jerseys don’t ship until the team notifies the league of the number given to the player.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Pantera Drummer, Co-Founder Vinnie Paul Dies At 54
- Some Immigrants Seeking Asylum Want To Make North Texas Home
- Texas Senators: Balance Zero-Tolerance And Compassion
- Dallas Stars Select Forward/Center Ty Dellandrea With 13th Pick Of NHL Draft
- Coming To America: Legal Or Not, Getting Here Is No Easy Task
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures