DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals has stayed tonight’s execution of convicted murderer Robert Campbell in Huntsville.
Campbell’s execution would have been nation’s first since a mishandled execution in Oklahoma a few weeks ago.
Campbell was to be put to death Tuesday night for the 1991 murder of Alexandra Rendon of Houston, who was abducted while putting gas into her car, was robbed, raped and shot.
(@KRLD) May 13, 2014
Attorneys for Campbell filed two appeals to delay the execution; questioning the combination of lethal injection drugs used and questioning whether Campbell is mentally retarded and therefore not eligible for execution. The latter appeal led to the stay..
Lawyers for Campbell say they must know the source of the drug used in Texas. Prison officials have refused.
NewsRadio 1080 KRLD and CBS 11 News are both following this story and will have more information as it becomes available.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Consumer Justice Cooler Challenge: Who Beat The Heat?
- Warning: Chicago Felony Lane Gang Members Possibly In Town
- Officer To Skydive In Uniform At Addison Kaboom Town
- North Texas Could See Record For Near-Drownings
- Fireworks Stand First Copeville Business To Reopen After December’s Tornado
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures