ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) – Minneapolis has been awarded the 2018 Super Bowl by NFL owners.
The owners rewarded the Vikings for arranging to build a new stadium on the site of the old Metrodome by choosing Minneapolis over New Orleans and Indianapolis.
The big game will be staged in the Twin Cities for the second time. It was there in 1992, when Washington beat Buffalo.
Minneapolis’ new $1 billion stadium is scheduled to open in 2016.
NFL (@nfl) May 20, 2014
New Orleans has staged the Super Bowl 10 times, tied with South Florida for the most, but its bid might have been damaged by the blackout that interrupted the 2013 title game. Indianapolis had it in 2012.
Next year’s game is in Glendale, Arizona, followed by Santa Clara, California, for the 50th Super Bowl, then Houston.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Vet Says Dog Flu On Rise In North Texas
- Bitter Blast Has Big Impact On Navarro County
- While Rangers Want To Add Rotation Depth, Yu Still Unlikely
- Indicted Texas AG Has $5.7M War Chest
- Bonham ISD Cancels School For Week Due To Flu
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures