ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) – Minneapolis has been awarded the 2018 Super Bowl by NFL owners.
The owners rewarded the Vikings for arranging to build a new stadium on the site of the old Metrodome by choosing Minneapolis over New Orleans and Indianapolis.
The big game will be staged in the Twin Cities for the second time. It was there in 1992, when Washington beat Buffalo.
Minneapolis’ new $1 billion stadium is scheduled to open in 2016.
NFL (@nfl) May 20, 2014
New Orleans has staged the Super Bowl 10 times, tied with South Florida for the most, but its bid might have been damaged by the blackout that interrupted the 2013 title game. Indianapolis had it in 2012.
Next year’s game is in Glendale, Arizona, followed by Santa Clara, California, for the 50th Super Bowl, then Houston.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Police Officer Arrested On Burglary Warrant
- Baby Hippo Lifts Spirits At Ohio Zoo That Faced Backlash For Killing Gorilla
- Man Turns Self In To Authorities For Wife’s Murder
- 2 Twin Brothers Shot, 1 Killed in Burleson; Teen Arrested
- Nene’s 28 Lead Rockets Past Thunder For 3-1 Series Lead
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures