AUSTIN (AP) – More Texas troopers will be on patrol as part of the long Memorial Day holiday weekend.
DPS on Tuesday announced the increased patrols will include officers on the lookout for drunken drivers and other safety issues.
Texas troopers during the 2013 Memorial Day period arrested 460 people for driving while intoxicated, issued 5,036 speeding citations, wrote more than 800 seat belt and child safety restraint tickets and cited 698 people for driving without insurance.
Troopers also arrested 281 fugitives and 186 suspects wanted on felony warrants.
This year’s increased-patrol effort begins Friday and runs through Monday. DPS is also part of the “Click It or Ticket” campaign through June 1 to make sure drivers and all passengers are wearing seat belts — as required by Texas law.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Obama Administration Confirms Double-Digit Premium Hikes
- Arlington City Leaders Show Support For New Stadium
- NBA 2016-17 Season Preview: Eastern Conference
- Police Search For Man Who Allegedly Stole 5 Guns
- Judge Delays Push To Evict Tenants From Rundown Dallas Homes
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures