Boy Scouts Expected To Announce Gates As New President
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (AP) — The Boy Scouts of America is expected to formally confirm former Defense Secretary Robert Gates as its new president.
The group’s national council will vote on Gates’ nomination for the volunteer role on Thursday at the organization’s annual meeting in Nashville.
Gates served as defense secretary for Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. He also formerly served as director of the CIA and president of Texas A&M University.
As defense secretary, Gates oversaw the end of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy excluding openly gay soldiers. He joins an organization that remains entangled in debates over its policy to allow openly gay Scouts, but exclude openly gay leaders.
Gay-rights groups and opponents of the policy continue to campaign against the Boy Scouts.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Perry: America Must End ‘Ambivalence’ On Israel
- VIDEO: Denton Jailer Fired For Leg Sweep On Prisoner
- George W. Bush Writes Book About Father
- Study: Female Breast Cancer Rates Higher In Flower Mound
- ‘Spiritual Healer’ Arrested For Sexual Assault
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures