Woman Gets Life Term For Burying, Killing Newborn
HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A 32-year-old woman was sentenced to life in prison after a Harris County jury found her guilty of capital murder for burying her infant son in mud near a bayou, smothering the 2-month-old.
Jurors deliberated about two hours Thursday before returning their verdict against Narjes Modarresi. State district Judge Maria Jackson issued her punishment immediately afterward.
Defense attorney George Parnham had sought a lesser charge against Modarresi because she suffers from bipolar disorder and was suicidal at the time of the April 2010 death of her child.
Prosecutor Sunni Mitchell had told jurors that Modarresi never formed a bond with a newborn “she never wanted and never loved.”
Modarresi initially told police that two men had kidnapped her son as she walked him in a stroller.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Staples: Customer Data Exposed In Security Breach
- Rondo Wants Another Title Run In Move To Dallas
- Perry: Top Official Resigning Over No-Bid Contract
- Unexpected Surprise For Some Collin County Burglary Victims
- Animal Shelter At Code Red Full; Specials Offered
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures