Woman Gets Life Term For Burying, Killing Newborn
Get Breaking News First
HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A 32-year-old woman was sentenced to life in prison after a Harris County jury found her guilty of capital murder for burying her infant son in mud near a bayou, smothering the 2-month-old.
Jurors deliberated about two hours Thursday before returning their verdict against Narjes Modarresi. State district Judge Maria Jackson issued her punishment immediately afterward.
Defense attorney George Parnham had sought a lesser charge against Modarresi because she suffers from bipolar disorder and was suicidal at the time of the April 2010 death of her child.
Prosecutor Sunni Mitchell had told jurors that Modarresi never formed a bond with a newborn “she never wanted and never loved.”
Modarresi initially told police that two men had kidnapped her son as she walked him in a stroller.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Demarcus Lawrence Has Cowboys ‘Frothing At The Mouth’
- Playoff Pinch Hits: Why The Royals Will Win The World Series In 6 Games
- Jerry Jones: Snyder Should Keep Redskins Name
- Kimberly-Clark To Cut Up To 1,300 Jobs
- Interruptions Set For Dallas DART Rail
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures