Rangers Put Fielder On DL For 1st Time In Career
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
DETROIT (CBSDFW.COMAP) – Though largely a foregone conclusion, the Texas Rangers have officially placed first baseman Prince Fielder on the disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck that is expected to end his season.
The move before Friday night’s game in Detroit came a day after the Rangers said Fielder is scheduled to have cervical fusion surgery next Tuesday.
It is the first time the durable first baseman has been on the DL in his career. Before an injection to treat his neck last Saturday, Fielder’s 547 consecutive games played was the longest active streak in the majors. He missed only one game the previous five seasons, last missing a game on Sept. 13, 2010.
Infielder Donnie Murphy was recalled from an injury rehab assignment.
The Rangers have a majors-high 13 players on the disabled list.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Staples: Customer Data Exposed In Security Breach
- Rondo Wants Another Title Run In Move To Dallas
- Perry: Top Official Resigning Over No-Bid Contract
- Unexpected Surprise For Some Collin County Burglary Victims
- Animal Shelter At Code Red Full; Specials Offered
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures