Rangers Put Fielder On DL For 1st Time In Career
DETROIT (CBSDFW.COMAP) — Though largely a foregone conclusion, the Texas Rangers have officially placed first baseman Prince Fielder on the disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck that is expected to end his season.
The move before Friday night’s game in Detroit came a day after the Rangers said Fielder is scheduled to have cervical fusion surgery next Tuesday.
It is the first time the durable first baseman has been on the DL in his career. Before an injection to treat his neck last Saturday, Fielder’s 547 consecutive games played was the longest active streak in the majors. He missed only one game the previous five seasons, last missing a game on Sept. 13, 2010.
Infielder Donnie Murphy was recalled from an injury rehab assignment.
The Rangers have a majors-high 13 players on the disabled list.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Homicide Investigated At Dallas Apartment Complex
- Crash In Seagoville Causes AT&T Outage
- Dallas Firefighters Battle Nearly 50 Fires Overnight
- Dallas Police K-9 Squad Honored At Dog Show
- 21-Year-Old Shot And Killed In Dallas; Suspect Sought
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures