TYLER, TX (AP) — Authorities are examining human remains found rolled up in a carpet that was dumped and burned on a rural East Texas road.
Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith says a vehicle found ablaze Friday in nearby woods likely belonged to the victim. The owner of the vehicle is a man in his 50’s from the Fort Worth area but authorities did not release his name.
Confirming the victim’s identity will take time because only about 5 percent of the body was found in the carpet. The remains will be sent for DNA testing.
The remains and the vehicle, a Toyota FJ Cruiser, were found near Interstate 20 just north of Tyler.
Tyler is about 95 miles southeast of Dallas.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man Accused Of Ripping Off North Texas Tornado Victims Jailed
- 2 Wanted For Attempted Kidnapping Of Teen Girl In Parker County
- Fake License Plates Mean Free Rides For Hundreds Of North Texans
- Child Advocates Relieved Trump To Keep Families Together After Crossing Border Illegally
- Desperate 911 Call Played In Notorious California Abuse Case
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures