TYLER, TX (AP) — Authorities are examining human remains found rolled up in a carpet that was dumped and burned on a rural East Texas road.
Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith says a vehicle found ablaze Friday in nearby woods likely belonged to the victim. The owner of the vehicle is a man in his 50’s from the Fort Worth area but authorities did not release his name.
Confirming the victim’s identity will take time because only about 5 percent of the body was found in the carpet. The remains will be sent for DNA testing.
The remains and the vehicle, a Toyota FJ Cruiser, were found near Interstate 20 just north of Tyler.
Tyler is about 95 miles southeast of Dallas.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Report: UTA Leads Texas In Serving Military Veterans
- Addison Doctor Suspended By Texas Medical Board
- Phil Simms: ‘I Wouldn’t Want To Play The Chargers In The Playoffs’
- People Hurt In Cosmetics Factory Explosions, Fire Tops 125
- Dallas Museum Curator Resigns Citing ‘Inappropriate Behavior’ Claims
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures