Small Plane Lands Hard; Catches Fire in Ellis County
A small plane made a hard landing in Midlothian in an open area off Shilloh Road & Mockingbird near the Eagle’s Nest subdivision according to Midlothian Police and Lonny Haschel from the Department of Public Safety.
The pilot who refused transport to the hospital was the only person on-board and was not injured.
Initial reports are that as the pilot was taking off from a small airport in Midlothian, the engine may have stalled.
Officials say the pilot tried to turn the plane around and land but appeared to clip the top of a hangar. When the plane landed, the landing gear collapsed and the pilot jumped out.
As the pilot escaped the wreckage, the plane burst into flames.
The accident is still under investigation.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- It’s not how you start: Rangers focused on every part of marathon season
- Fort Worth Couple Killed In Shooting Saturday Morning
- Attempted Robber Shot In Dallas
- Dallas Police Say Suspect Confesses To Murder
- DPD Bicycle Officer Collapses While On The Job
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures