HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Texans are voting in several high profile runoff races today, the most contentious, the republican candidate for lieutenant governor. Political analysts say this is Dan Patrick’s run-off to lose.
Despite the rain, Patrick went to a polling place this morning to greet voters.
It is possible the rain could have helped Patrick. Many of his supporters are in the Tea Party and are grassroots conservatives. Analysts say they are more devoted supporters who are more likely go to the polls.
The run-off for Lt. Governor has been one of, the nastiest political races, filled with negative ads. It has been widely reported that a former rival, who’s now supporting incumbent David Dewhurst, released information that back in the 1980’s that Patrick received treatment for depression. Patrick says he was exhausted, and acknowledges he sought mental health treatment, but says he hasn’t done so since then. Patrick says he wanted to avoid making any personal attacks against his opponent, and believes attacks against him will backfire.
Patrick and Lt. Governor David Dewhurst entered into a runoff after the March 4th primary. Many analysts were predicting a big win for Patrick.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Police Officers Drop The Puck To Raise Money For Child Fighting Terminal Disease
- School Threats Increasing In North Texas Since Florida School Shooting
- Dallas Mayor Calls Out Judges To Do Better Job At Taking Away Abuser’s Guns
- Nearly 2 Dozen Homes Flooded Near Rockwall Lake
- Dez Bryant: I Promise You I’m Going To Shut A Lot Of People Up
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures