IRVING, Texas (AP) – The CEO of Exxon Mobil Corp. says alternative fuels will grow but that oil will remain the world’s leading source of energy for another quarter century.
CEO Rex Tillerson says natural gas will surpass coal as the second most heavily used fuel.
Tillerson made the comments Wednesday at the company’s annual shareholder meeting.
About 15 people protested outside the meeting hall, charging that Exxon was not doing enough to reduce climate change and develop alternative sources of energy to burning oil and natural gas. Shareholders were scheduled to vote on a resolution urging Exxon to set emission-reduction goals.
Tillerson said that the Irving, Texas, company has reduced greenhouse gas emissions over the past five years equal to taking nearly 2 million cars off the road.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Texas Sheriff: Officer Fatally Shot In Backyard Of His Home
- Verizon Buys Yahoo For $4.83B, Marking End Of An Era
- Busch Turns Weekend Into Clean Sweep With Brickyard 400 Win
- Deputies Find Thousands Of Marijuana Plants In Navarro County
- Dallas Teen Critical Following Parking Lot Gun Battle
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures