CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) – Eric Gutierrez’s one-out hit scored Zach Davis with the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning Friday, and Texas Tech defeated Columbia 3-2 in the first game of the Coral Gables regional.
Davis entered the game as a pinch runner for Stephen Smith, who led off the inning with a walk. A sacrifice moved Davis to second, and he reached third base when Lions second baseman Will Savage misplayed a grounder to put runners at the corners.
Jonny Drodz (7-0) pitched the final 3 2-3 innings for the Red Raiders (41-18), who advanced to a second-round game Saturday night. Thomas Crispi (3-2) walked three and gave up two hits in 2 1-3 innings
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- TCU Falls To Coastal Carolina 4-1
- LGBT Community Getting Armed
- Fireworks Stand To Open In McKinney Neighborhood
- Briles Officially Out At Baylor After Sexual Assault Scandal
- Judge Blocks Planned Sale Of Whitney Houston’s Emmy
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures