DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Police in Dallas have arrested a man suspected of injuring a 15-month-old child who later died. Clezel Montague Mughni was taken into custody on Wednesday morning at an apartment complex in the 8900 block of Park Lane.
Authorities said that the 27-year-old suspect was living at the complex with the child and the boy’s mother. Marquis Johnson was transported to the hospital on Monday after reportedly being unresponsive. The boy was later pronounced dead by medical staff.
According to the Dallas County Medical Examiner’s office, Johnson’s injuries were the result of blunt force trauma, and consistent with Mughni punching the child in the stomach, as was indicated by interviews with the suspect and witnesses. Johnson also suffered skull and rib fractures, according to the autopsy report.
The arrest affidavit said that Mughni told police that he had punched the boy in the stomach and spanked him as punishment for whining.
Marquis’ sister was also transported to the hospital with similar injuries. Police offered no details on that child’s condition, but say more charges could be coming.
Mughni is now sitting behind bars in Dallas and charged with injury to a child. His bail has been set at $500,000. He was previously arrested for burglary of a habitation and for a probation violation.
- President Trump Signs First Executive Order Regarding Obamacare
- North Texas Republicans, Democrats React To President Trump’s Inauguration
- Personal Information Posted Online — And It’s Legal!
- Police Investigate Graffiti Cases As Possible Rivalry Gone Too Far
- Highland Park Intersection Riddled With Potholes
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures